Friday, March 25, 2011

Modesty Part 1

Therefore I want the men everywhere to pray, lifting up holy hands without anger or disputing. I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.
1 Timothy 2:8-10


Now here’s a controversial topic: modesty! I never thought this was a big deal until I started reading modesty posts on other fashion blogs, and, let me tell you, it’s a hothouse of sensitivity. People really get up-in-arms over this simple topic. Why? Because there are people who do not want anyone to make a judgment on what they wear. Or what they eat. Or about their health. Or pretty much anything else.

So let me get this out of the way: I am not telling you what to wear. So, relax, chill, and let’s look at what the Bible says about modesty. Really, it can be refreshing. There are a couple of definitions of modesty, one is dressing with humility. The second is not dressing in a sexually alluring manner. Today’s post will be about the former, then in another post I will approach the latter.

Let’s start with the foremost, and really the only New Testament scripture that specifically mentions modesty in women, 1 Timothy 2:8-10, above. The context of it is propriety in worship, how to participate in church gathering in a respectful and orderly way. The summary lesson from this scripture is that instead of dressing in a flashy way, to draw attention to themselves, women should be more focused on how they can serve God with good deeds. It is a practice of humility rather than arrogance or pride. It is thinking of other people as more important than yourself.

I also understand from this scripture, and from other scriptures, to dress in a “decent” manner. I define “modestly” and “decency” to mean in a non-sexually alluring manner. But that is another post!

When I go to worship God at church, my attitude is to look and give my best for him. I do wear my best clothes, I take care to not be sloppy or casual. I think of the priests under the Law of Moses, who had to carefully prepare themselves inside and out, before approaching the Holy of Holies, where the ark of the covenant, and God’s presence, were. How I dress is more a reflection on who God is than a focus on who I am.

I am coming at this topic from my viewpoint of loving God and putting him first in my life. I do not expect others who do not wish to have a relationship with God to put these principles into practice, and I do not condemn them.


So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31

1 comment:

  1. In response to your Gap comment --
    Nobody shops at the Gap. People shouldn't fool themselves into thinking that the Gap is cool anymore, especially since I am pretty sure they are working towards destroying the environment and ensuring that humans can no longer populate the earth.

    In response to your post --
    I believe in modesty depending on the circumstances. Be modest when going to church. Does God want to see your boobs on display in a low-cut dress or spaghetti-strap top? Be modest when going to school to teach. Students are distracted when your boobs or ass are pronounced in your outfits. It is not about being told what to wear and what not to wear. It's about being mindful of the situation.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete

Please add to the conversation! I'd love to hear from you.