Monday, October 4, 2010

Clothed with Christ

You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. - Galatians 3:26-28

Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy. Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature. – Romans 13:13-14

What does “clothed with Christ” mean, and how can we practically apply it? We can learn some historical perspective of this term from Albert Barnes’ New Testament Commentary. “The phrase to put on a person, which seems a harsh expression in our language, was one not unfrequently used by Greek writers; and means, to imbibe his principles, to imitate his example, to copy his spirit, to become like him. Thus in Dionysius Halicarnassus the expression occurs, "having put on or clothed themselves with Tarquin;" i.e. they imitated the example and morals of Tarquin. So Lucian says, "having put on Pythagoras;" having received him as a teacher and guide. So the Greek writers speak of putting on Plato, Socrates, etc., meaning to take them as instructers, to follow them as disciples. (See Schleusner.) Thus, to put on the Lord Jesus means, to take him as a pattern and guide, to imitate his example, to obey his precepts, to become like him, etc.

Paul used the term “clothed” a few times in his writings. He used it as a metaphor for immortality, and even for heaven, in 1 Corinthians 15 and II Corinthians 5. Being clothed is becoming something else. Just like we put on clothing, we put on eternity.


For me, there is no piece of clothing I’d rather put on. Designers and styles come and go. The flutter cardi wrap I got last year will look horribly dated in a couple of years. My beautiful sweaters will get holes in them, I could lose my nicest earrings, and my suede booties, despite my caution, will probably get destroyed in the snow. But Jesus will always cover my sin, and he is my righteousness, whom I put all my trust in, and will obey until the end!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post! Thank you for sharing such a great reminder. "Clothed in Christ" is something I remind myself of often.

    Thanks for entering the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete

Please add to the conversation! I'd love to hear from you.