Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I’m Just Not That Into…Trenchcoats

Ah, you trenchcoat. You are on all must-have clothing lists. A veritable classic closet staple, right up there with aviator sunglasses and little black dresses.

I know your kind. Double-breasted, flap-collared, wide-belted, buckle-sleeved, lightweight and knee-length coat of Burberry fame. You usually front in a cool beige color, a dead wanna-be-camel neutral that is so respectable, a person wants to invite you home over Thanksgiving to meet the parents. But I’m sorry to tell you: I’m just not that into you.

Here’s my trenchcoat hangup, in one word: detective. Perhaps I watched too many episodes of Inspector Gadget in my youth. I cannot look at anyone in a khaki trenchcoat and take them seriously. Oooh, there’s Emma Watson, pretending she’s an international spy who spends a lot of time in the rain! Where’s her fedora? Oh, she’s just leaving a hotel, you say? Mmokay.

Oh, my dear trenchy, it’s not you, it’s me. You’re not my style, so don’t take it personal, because leather motorcycle jackets and fur coats aren’t my style either.

So if you’re looking for me, I’ll be the blonde in the fitted wool coat or the sleek puffer jacket. Or maybe a peacoat. Maybe. It’s on all the must-have clothing lists too.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! I have to admit--the spy factor is actually one of the reasons I love trench coats. But I love a fitted wool coat just as much, and they look just as classic. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please add to the conversation! I'd love to hear from you.